Saturday, January 26, 2008

Abstinence


~Abstinence~
{for the healthy, wealthy and wise, for longevity, for illness-free lives}

How now to hold my horses?
Sweaty brows, my thumbs are twiddling
I'm in a fix, how now to ignore the forces
which are mercilessly driving me to commit a diddling

Oh bother! A nervous wreck I may become
if I don't control that incessant urge
Petrified I step back heaving my heavy bosom
With a heavy hand I clutch my heart and feel a surge

The all too familiar aroma slashed the air
rose up and swiveled towards where I stood
beckoned me with it's invisible pair
of arms that encircled me forming a hood

My heart lurched, fear gripped my soul
Will I break the promise? Will I fail?
Will this manifestation of gluttony arrest me from reaching my goal?
Will I be imprisoned once again in that self-loathing jail?

The oodles of flesh on my body quivered
reminding me of the shame, disgust and alarm
I felt at the reflection on my mirror staring back and I shivered
Still fighting the menacing whiff from doing me harm

I closed my eyes and shut it all out
The platter, the odor, the rich sight of food
"I don't need you... leave me alone!!" I shout
I'm fat and unhealthy and it is just not good!

You dare to mock me, you dare to beckon
You dare to set upon me the forces
You think I cannot do this I reckon
I dare say I can, I will abstain I will hold my horses!

Jyothi Samarthi
Copyright © 2008

1 comment:

--xh-- said...

litlle late, but at last, came here too :-D hope everything is fine with you. will call you soon da. now too broke to do an STD :P he he he